Sunday, May 31, 2009

This is such a strange time...

I have been home now for 2 weeks.  I'm already finding that while my home in Dallas is still home I don't feel quite as comfortable living in it the same way I've always done.  It's a strange time...

I've graduated but all I have to show for it is a diploma.  I do not have a job to go to during the day, I don't have a source of income, I am still relatively helpless and dependent on my parents.  An adult that much more similarly resembles a child.  This awkward stage in my life affects every interaction I have with my family.  "Hey Sarah do you want to go to the Rangers game?", "One sec, let me ask my mom."  or "Hey mom and dad do you mind if I go on a run with Katie this morning instead of going to church, I went last night."--"Sure Sarah, you don't have to ask us that, you can make your own decisions now."

but...Can I?  I am the oldest child, and from what I can figure in the bible, though I am graduated and in some ways independent, I am still under the authority of my parents.  I feel strange.  I little bit underdeveloped or something.  I am not confident in my own decision-making abilities and constantly need the advise of someone wiser.  

I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing, but maybe it's time to start going to the ultimate wisdom-giver.  Maybe it's time to start consulting my Heavenly Father and His Word about every decision.  Maybe the way I mature is to come to the Lord like a little child.  Not only is it OK, but it's the only way we're supposed to do according to Luke 18: "I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it."  So instead of constantly going to my parents and saying, "Help me make this decision.", I need to start consulting the Lord to ask the same thing.  That pleases Him.

I'm on my way to Becky's graduation baccalaureate, but will continue struggling through my thougts later.  If you just read this, thanks for reading my piddly thoughts.  I think majority of us reading this are all in a similar position, and I hope it's encouraging for you to read that I'm struggling through this awkward phase as well.

Love you all.

No comments: